Thursday, August 19, 2010

Paper number two

Motivated by a recent conversation I had with some family, I'm posting a link to the paper I wrote as the final paper for my Philosophy course from last summer. The course was great and I'm pretty happy with this paper, which is more common with papers whose topics I create.

I tried to address this paper to my discussions about faith that I had been having with a lot of my friends and floormates at UPenn. My neighbors were two Orthodox Jewish kids, and one in particular did a really good job of articulating arguments for his faith. It was a fun and challenging summer, and there were a few times we stayed up very late (or rather, early) talking about religion and metaphysics. One of the major challenges that he presented me, and a question that has been repeated in a lot of subsequent discussions, is this: doesn't ultimately our acceptance of historical or scientific facts boil down to faith? This paper was part of my answer to that question, and came out of those late-night discussions.


Looking back, I feel like my writing style has definitely grown since I wrote this paper. Even though it was only a year ago, I feel like I've learned a lot, not only about writing, but also about the content and subject matter of this paper. NJSP also gave me lots of opportunities to explore these ideas, and more discussions with people of faith have definitely given me some new sensitivity and understanding of their position. Enjoy the paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment